See Part three of this series here.
31. Modulate ceiling height and treatment. (See Primer: Third dimension.)
32. Design rooms for multiple uses. (See Manchester Garage/Garden Room, above.)
33. Build a team of knowledgeable specialists as consultants.
34. Provide opportunities for prospect and refuge. (See Reading Review: House Thinking.)
35. Where appropriate, arrange rooms “enfilade” (on axis toward a vista). (See House plans that flow.)
36. Design big windows for small houses. (See Design snapshot: Small house, big windows.)
37. The best projects are fun, and fun projects stem from fun homeowners.
38. Use natural materials where possible.
39. Frame thick walls to accommodate more/better insulation and to create deep interior window sills.
40. Include a lookout so occupants can experience “peril” from the safety of their homes. (See Reading Review: House Thinking.)
by Katie Hutchison for House Enthusiast