See Part two of this series here.
21. Maintain one person as the client contact for the duration of a project.
22. A compound of smaller buildings is generally a better design solution than a single, larger building.
23. Ground the building with first-floor porches, wings, and/or pergolas. (See Primer: Recipe for Architectural Charm.)
25. Take advantage of a need for significant renovations to upgrade air sealing and insulation.
26. Encourage homeowners to be decisive; don’t overwhelm them with options. (See The behavior economics of design.)
27. Include KHS Construction Administration services for all project contracts that proceed beyond Schematic Design. (See Design Process.)
28. Design legible massing. (See Primer: Recipe for Architectural Charm.)
29. Frame a view; don’t over-expose it. (See Frame it to fathom it.)
by Katie Hutchison for House Enthusiast