See Part eight of the series here.
81. Recommend that homeowners move out during renovations, if possible.
82. Consider incorporating renewable energy systems.
83. Provide a generous mud room.
84. Edit the program and design judiciously. (See Design Process.)
85. Include clerestory windows and/or a roof monitor, where possible. (See Brewster Long House.)
86. Don’t let “the tail wag the dog”. (See Don’t overlook intangible value and cost.
87. People either love or hate pocket doors.
88. Dismiss bum clients (Don-Draper style).
89. Don’t forget to provide egress windows in bedrooms.
90. Design/build arrangements sacrifice the benefits of the competitive bid process.
by Katie Hutchison for House Enthusiast