Newton Kitchen Renovation/Mud Room Addition: Wood floors work well in almost any space.See the full series here.
91. Use metaphors to communicate design intent to homeowners.
92. Avoid granite countertops; they’ve been done.
93. Lighting with the proper color temperature is critical to how warm or cool a space feels.
94. Pay attention to scale; right-size it.
95. Wood floors work well in almost any space. (See Newton Kitchen Renovation/Mud Room Addition.)
96. Design stairs to serve a use beyond vertical circulation.
97. Reduce clutter and clean windows to increase spaciousness on a dime.
98. Don’t conceal windows with overly busy or elaborate window treatments. Roman shades or interior shutters work well.
99. Provide a consistent interior trim color or clear finish; vary wall color within a harmonious palette. (See Primer: A Recipe for Architectural Charm.)
100. Maximize daylight. (See Common Sense Green.)
101. Practice forgiveness and gratitude.
by Katie Hutchison for House Enthusiast